I don't like to share. Here I am supposed to be teaching this fantastic virtue for my children as well as model that great behavior and principle and here you have it ... I DON'T LIKE TO SHARE.
But let me explain. I share my time by volunteering regularly at church & school. I share my love freely, openly and with wild abandon. I share my opinions with anyone who will listen! ;) I share on a regular basis in fulfilling ways.
But LORD ALMIGHTY, motherhood is ALL ABOUT SHARING when you DO NOT WANT TO SHARE. Here are some prime examples ...
- My bed. OH LORD MY BED. Key in that, MY bed. MINE MINE MINE. Do not come in here. Do not sneak in here. Do not climb in and kick my husband in the groin. Do not climb in and have the nerve to COMPLAIN about the pillow, blankets, heat, chill, fan, ETC. It is MY BED. Mine. And yet, I continue to share it. Thank the Lord it has been less and less over time. From those "dream feeds" with Noah, to nightmares and more. Our bed has been a safe haven. And I INVITE it to be a safe haven for them, but that doesn't mean I LIKE to share it. Boo.
- My home. Remember those days when your home, was YOURS!? When you didn't fall victim to the stray Lego on your feet? When your bare feet didn't stick to the floor (ahem, Freeze Pops are my nemesis.)? It starts almost as soon as they are born. You declared "no plastic land" at your house and then before you know it the Exersaucer has it's own zip code and the bins of PLASTIC toys is over flowing. Over time that baby stuff leaves (sometimes it takes a looooooooooooooong time) and toddler kid stuff arrives. When the toddler stuff leaves the kid stuff arrives...AND NEVER LEAVES. Little piles of crap x3 ALL. OVER. MY. HOUSE. Yes. I indeed share my home. I try to claim just a FEW SPACES as my own and not cave in on that. TRY.
- My car. Yep. That stinky pile of metal layered with kids wrappers, leftover food, sports equipment and clothing ... used to be MY CAR. It's really just become a glorified garbage can with wheels. I indeed share my car, WITH PIGS.
- My food. OMG. WHY oh WHY does whatever I am eating for myself look TEN TIMES better than whatever I've put on THEIR plates? Mostly, this is my little Noah. And I adore that he is a good eater. I make my shake in the morning and his little eyebrows lift and his eyes light up ... "You makin' a shake Mama??" It's pretty hard to resist his sweet face but yet some mornings I'm all Joey Tribianni "MY SANDWICH" on him and do NOT share my shake! ;)
- Basically ... ANYTHING I have. Pens, pencils, markers, crayons, TAPE (for the love of God the TAPE!), scissors, paper, my water bottle, my computer, my phone...the list is endless.
Sharing is a huge part of motherhood and for the most part, I don't like it. For now I'll choose to focus on the aspects of sharing I DO love. Sharing my stories that I know resonate with my village of awesome moms, sharing my love with my kiddos, sharing my gifts with others, sharing recipes, tips and tricks with friends and accepting their sharing too! Sharing in laughs with my husband over the CRAZY CRAP that happens in our home, sharing the love of Jesus with our kids and others and sharing a rich relationship with my own mom knowing that she has gone before me and sacrificed so much that I never even knew. She has really shared an amazing example. I only aspire to do the same. xo